- San Francisco Law School, J.D., 1983
- University of California, Berkeley, CA, B.A. (French), 1976
State Bar of California (1983)
United States District Court, Northern District of California (1984)
Publications & Activities
- Rebecca is the author of numerous articles on insurance coverage, as well as other matters including: “The Sudden and Accidental Pollution Exclusion,” “One More Step Toward Reasonableness in Liability Actions,” “Montrose and Its Holdings” all published in the NAIW Property/Casualty Claims Focus Group Publication. She is the author of Insurance Coverage Law in California published by the National Business Institute. She also writes a monthly column regarding insurance-related appellate court decisions for several insurance industry publications.
- Rebecca has been a guest speaker for the Environmental Claims Managers Association, and for the National Business Institute. She has also given in-house seminars for insurance companies on a variety of topics, including Environmental Coverage Review and Allocation of Environmental and Latent Liability Losses in Insurance and Reinsurance cases.
At the San Francisco Chapter NAIW Industry Appreciation Event held on October 20, 2009, Rebecca Aherne was recognized for her contributions to the Association. This annual award acknowledges individuals for their long-time support of the Association. Past recipients include Roy Passini, Underwriters’ Report, Richard N. Goldman, Richard N. Goldman Company, Roger L. Smith, CPCU, Insurance Educational Association, and Russell Sands, Lockton Insurance Brokers. Rebecca has previously served as president of the Association (1998-99), and was named Insurance Member of the Year in 1996. For the past several years she has served as the Association’s Education Chair and has submitted articles regarding insurance coverage law to the Association’s monthly newsletter. For the past two years she has also served as the Northern California Inter-Coordinating Council Coordinator. NAIW serves its members by providing professional education, an environment to build business alliances, and the opportunity to make connections with people of differing career paths and levels of experience in the insurance industry.
Rebecca, former shareholder at Bishop, Barry, Howe, Haney & Ryder, is an experienced insurance coverage and bad faith attorney. Her insurance practice specializes in the areas of environmental and asbestos coverage litigation. She has litigated a number of complex insurance coverage and bad faith lawsuits since 1983. She supervises associate attorneys and paralegals during the discovery and trial phases of these major cases. Rebecca prepares coverage opinions for their clients and keeps them informed of developments in the law relating to insurance coverage issues. Rebecca has handled general civil litigation cases, including matters involving environmental damage, product liability, professional malpractice, wrongful terminations and landlord/tenant disputes. She has participated in trials, mediations and arbitrations on behalf of her clients.
Affiliations and Memberships
- State Bar of California
- National Association of Insurance Women
- Rebecca is an active member of the National Association of Insurance Women, serving as President-Elect (1997-98) and President (1998-99) of the San Francisco Chapter of NAIW and as Public Relations Chair (1999-2000) and Legislation Liaison (2007-2008) of the California State Council of NAIW. In 2006, Rebecca served as Seminar Chairperson for the California State meeting. She was named Insurance Member of the Year by the San Francisco Chapter in 1996, and in 1998, her firm was honored for its support of the Association.